Monday 16 May 2011

Guernica, a sorrow scream of our specie

“This picture has not made for decorating rooms. It’s an offensive and defensive war instrument against the enemy”
Pablo Picasso, about ‘Guernica’.

I don’t have chosen a photo. I think Photography is a very cool and interesting art and activity, but I’m not identified with it. Artistic paintings are better making me feel intense emotions. So, I would talk to you about one of the greatest pictures of 20th Century and all over Art History.
‘Guernica’ is the name of the most famous painting of the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso. He painted it in 1937, referring to the bombing of a Spanish town called Guernica, in 1936, during the Spanish Civil War. It is an oil painting and its dimensions are 3,50 x 7,80 m, using only black and white paint, working with grey scales. The work hasn’t direct allusions to the town and to Spanish Civil War; so, it’s a symbolic painting, full of allegories -some of these were explained by Picasso- and with many interpretations about the whole work.
The most common ideas about Guernica’s interpretation converge in a blue and dark response to the war like an option for societies and the cruel way it manifest for the common people. I really admire this painting, because it transfers to me all the anguish and death feeling of the last century (and current). When I see it or I remember it, I think art is more powerful than weapons and it could be, just like Picasso said, a better and stronger instrument for face up to an evil enemy: The hunger for power.
I wonder you like this post. Before going out, I would share to you a too interesting anecdote about Guernica. In 1940, in Paris, during the Nazi occupation, a Nazi officer interrogated Picasso about a photo of Guernica: “Did you made it?” Picasso answered: “No, you did” (In plural).

5 comments:

  1. I like very much this picture and Pablo Picasso too. I didn't know the history behind the painting, I think that is very interesting and the picture comunicates many emotions.
    See you in English's class!!
    Byee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello A.J! well, I think your choice was awesome. I feel the same conection with a lot of painting art, so I was so excited reading your post, I loved it! :) Even if Picasso isn't one of my favorite painters, he just sent a message that touches you and makes you think about everything. Excelent post my friend :D see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :O I haven´t seen this picture!! but now that I see it really is very interesting, because it conveys many feelings and emotions!! With this picture I can tell really that Picasso is a great painter.

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Antonio!

    I like the anecdota,
    i think the artistic painting is a interesting activity too,
    but i really don´t like the interpretations of the artistic painting
    -every opinion is important to me, not only the bearded men's opinion-.

    I could see a lot of pain in that picture,
    and the pain and the suffering are historic emotion,
    always had happened, are happening and they will happen too.

    See you in the streets of the university!

    Santiago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi AJ! :D
    I don't like Picasso... the vanguards to XX's century I like, but I DON'T LIKE this artist...

    This picture is interesting ... but it makes me feel bad, it scares me...

    what this means is impressive picture ... and the response that Picasso gave to the Nazis is just brilliant!

    See you! (:

    ReplyDelete